Wednesday, 16 May 2012

BALLGOWNS AND BOOKS


Since Monday night I have been in good old London. Last week I wrote a little news report for The Style Column on a new exhibition about to be laucnhed at the V&A called 'Ballgowns: British Glamour Since 1950'. Vaskar the Editor saw this and suddenly realised that we could do one better and so arranged for me to go to the press day and launch of the exhibition! As per usual, I quickly booked my tickets and immediately after college on Monday hopped on a train down south!


I attended the launch yesterday and the exhibition was magnificent! So so soooo beautiful! I insist that anyone who is fashion fanatic MUST go. The pieces on display are truly stunning.  This exhibit is spread over two floors. On the ground floor are the older more historical gowns ranging from the 50's right up into the early 2000's. This section featured several dresses worn by members of the royal family including Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Princess Diana as well as some pieces worn by celebrities such as Bianca Jagger.

However upstairs is where the real magic was happening. At my first glance after climbing the small set of stairs, I genuinely exclaimed 'wow'! It was like walking on to the set of a Tim Walker shoot, with mannequins standing atop of over-sized pearls and jewels. Here were displayed more contemporary designs from the past 5 years, proving that designers today still had the talent and ability to produce mind blowing evening-wear. The works of designers such a Mary Katranzou, Jonathan Saunders, Marchesa, Rouland Mouret, Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen and Gareth Pugh were all featured.



I don't want to write too much on that at the moment, as in the next day or so I shall post my exhibition report for The Style Column which covers the whole event.

Other than  my fix of fantastic ballgowns..I have generally been pottering about. I have purchased rather alot of books...or at least a lot for me in two days!! Yesterday in a discount book store in South Kensington I purchased Coco Chanel: The Legend and The Life which I have already started reading and i'm finding rather interesting. Today after wondering around the Kings Road and spotting one or two Made In Chelsea stars and taking a gander round the latest Alex Prager photography exhibition (which was brilliant! Another must see!),  I made my way back to Chiswick were I found a few hidden treasures in a charity shop near Turnham Green station - French in Twenty Lessons, Fashion Design Drawing and Presentation and a little copy of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.



And so my reading list grows....
I'm such a slow reader that I'm bound to never get through my ever growing list!

More images to come from the Ballgowns Exhibtion soon as well as my Style Column review and a few others I have neglected to post on here too...
x

No comments:

Post a Comment